Notes

Land of the Sky Tournament information can be found by clicking on the button above.

Newcomers to the site should note the pickleball book "chapters" in the left column and the repository of expert articles and videos in the right column.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Learning from Lessons

Mastery is in the reaching, not in the arriving.

Lessons can be great motivators...but only if the student comes with the right attitude to walk away with the right learnings. Sarah Ansbory has an article to discuss the right way to approach lessons. It is titled 3 Keys to Making the Most of Your Pickleball Lesson and excerpts are shown below. The ideas are a good things to keep in mind if you are attending the Mark Renneson clinic I posted yesterday.





I was recently asked, “Who are the players that are able to apply what they learned during a pickleball lesson to their game?”   I thought it was a great question! So I gave it some thought…


Pickleball and Life’s Lesson

The very first post on this site is about pickleball mastery.  If you have not read it, please take a moment to read it now.  It seems to me that there are common qualities whether we are learning a new sport, working to improve in pickleball, becoming a teacher or a leader in the community.  You must possess three traits:  humility, willingness to reflect, and passion.

Mastery and Humility

As I reflect on Sally’s story of learning pickleball, the very first trait I identify is humility. Humility is absolutely essential to learning any new skill. Only when we are humble will we seek advice.  But more importantly, only those who are humble will be willing to lose a game, or perhaps “look a bit foolish” as they attempt to incorporate a new skill into their game.

Often students put down hard earned money for a pickleball lesson on how to hit an effective third-shot drop.  After the lesson, they may practice with a friend.  Perhaps they will incorporate a third shot drop drill into their weekly drill sessions.  But when they are participating in “open” or recreational play, they quickly revert to attempting to smash a ball pass the people at the line.  You see, these players aren’t willing to lose a game.  Instead, they continue to play the way that makes them “feel good”.  Their egos won’t let them lose to that team or that person.  They aren’t willing to get worse before they get better.

Mastery and Willingness to Reflect

In addition, to being willing to regress before they improve, players need to be willing to reflect and be open. Nearly every day I teach a student looks me right in the eye and says something like, “No I don’t do that!” or “I never do that.”  As I have taught for many years, I fully understand that many players don’t feel what I see … but some seem to think that I get some kind of pleasure out of deceiving them.  It is at moments like this that I pull out my video camera.

When I am struggling with an aspect of my game, I often rely on video analysis to understand what I am really doing with my body. I find I need to see it before I can put a corrective plan in place.  When a student is stubborn or unable to accept my observation I will ask them to review the video with me.  We all know that “Seeing is believing.”

Mastery and Passion

Many people want to get better.  They have the desire.  However, those that improve couple that desire with passion. Our love of pickleball compels us to share the game with others.  Our passion also propels us to continued improvement.  It is what helps us get through the slumps, those times we hit a wall, and persevere...

Read the entire article here.




No comments:

Post a Comment