Notes

Land of the Sky Tournament information can be found by clicking on the button above.

Newcomers to the site should note the pickleball book "chapters" in the left column and the repository of expert articles and videos in the right column.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Aspen's Advice: Plateauing

Everything can look like a failure in the middle...

Aspen Kern is the creator of the Pickleball Forum and often adds his thoughts on pickleball topics. Aspen is a top player in the game and knows what he is talking about. Since I wrote of a recent setback in my game, this recent topic was particularly relevant.



Aspen's Advice

As a Junior tennis player, I would become frustrated when I didn't see improvement in my game, My coach explained to me that as a player we go through peaks and valleys, but think of it as each time you hit the ball you are putting a penny into a piggy bank. You may not see it filling up but one day it will be full. His advice has helped keep me motivated when I start to think I have hit a plateau. There will be times that you have what appears to be setbacks, but from experience I can tell you the things that set you back are also the things that make you a stronger player. Many improvements in my game have been the result of little inconveniences, a minor injury that forces you to play slightly different, a court at dusk without lights will make you focus on the ball closer, even something as petty as forgetting your sunglasses at home can make you re-realize the power of a lob hit into the sun. Don't get discouraged when things don't seem to be going your way, there is indeed a Pickleball silver lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment