Notes

Land of the Sky Tournament information can be found by clicking on the button above.

Newcomers to the site should note the pickleball book "chapters" in the left column and the repository of expert articles and videos in the right column.

Monday, March 7, 2016

Ambidextrous Forehand

A long time ago in my post The Grip I discussed a method to avoid switching grips in the midst of playing a game. That method is to switch hands instead. I did not recommend using this method because it takes a lot of skill and practice to equalize shot-making with both strong and weak hands. Mostly I didn't recommend it because I hate playing against these players

Regardless of my preference, there are a few players who do switch hands. The following Pickleball Channel video called Ambidextrous Forehand shows one of the top players in the world, Wes Gabrielson, demonstrating the technique. The video is not too exciting, but does include some tips for hitting a forehand that apply even if using only the strong hand.



Tips to hitting a forehand:
  1. Keep eye on ball through shot.
  2. Keep body & legs low.
  3. Follow through toward your target.
  4. Keep your head down to ensure good contact.



1 comment:

  1. Good drill. When I first started play I hurt my right shoulder. Didn’t want to stop playing so I played as lefty. Now I am fairly ambidextrous and switch without really thinking about it. Some have told me not to do this but I’ve gotten many points that way and hit stronger with my left hand than trying a weak right backhand. Gonna try working in this drill. I love confusing my opponents! Thanks for posting this helpful video!��

    ReplyDelete